Being a novice gardener I haven't been very good at thinning seedlings or replacing unproductive plants, I want to baby them all and keep every one. I'm getting better.. yesterday I hacked down a beautiful lush clump of tree dahlia.. and I may have enjoyed the destruction a little too much (but it was all for a good cause). At least I have cuttings to give away now?
Oh dear. Also the lawn that refuses to die.
But the real reason for garden renovations is the arrival of my new mystery banana tree! My mum got it from a friend of a friend and we have no idea what it is. Only that it is a rather sad banana.
Woe.
I'm hoping it will pick up in time. In other news I have my first baby pumpkin of the season.
He has some growing to do.
And my soon-to-be first purple chili.
~


Goodness me, you have been busy! I could never eat a chook I named. All mine are named and will have a home here till they suffle off the mortal coil. I want to be able to kill em and eat em...that was the plan. But I just can't. Tho I do have another young cockerel...by accident. I am not that attached to him and another rooster is just unnecessary...maybe....
ReplyDeleteYour garden is very well mulched. I gave up with mulch this year as birds like scratching the mulch and uprooted the plants. So some place I used natural grown cover like sweet potato and melon foliage. I saw a house have a lush banana tree with many fruits on it this week! I hope yours will bear fruit for you when its ready.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what Tree Dahlia is - are those long poles on the lawn the cuttings you mention? And I think maybe that particular piece of lawn ought to be the next victim of The Claw...
ReplyDeleteBTW, I'm sure Ali from Mud Pie can help you with advice on the Banana plant.
Hazel, I'm still not sure about the idea of eating my own chickens but I'd like to think I could, at least once.. I sometimes worry about the ethics of eating animals without taking direct responsibility. I've watched a few videos online on how to kill and process to try to desensitise myself, but I guess we'll see.
ReplyDeleteM-K.. I have a daily war with the blackbirds over my mulch! They kick it everywhere and I grumble and shove it back. Fortunately they seem to stick to one spot and have stopped bothering so much after I stuck 50 little sticks in the ground to get in their way. ;)
Mark, yes! they're the stems of the tree dahlia, it's a giant daisy that grows like bamboo, it's fun to see the flowers swaying in the wind above your head. We have others still standing so I'll post photos when the flowers open. :) Funny you should say that about the lawn... (to be continued).
Kat I am 100% with you on the seedling thinnings, I cannot bring myself to do it. I love them all! Luckily for me however, if I leave them for long enough the bugs come in and thin them for me :)
ReplyDeleteThe banana plant does look sad... but they are very hardy, so don't lose hope :)
Thank you Ali! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the poor thing!
ReplyDeleteHello Kat,
ReplyDeleteThank you for joining my blog - it was a beaut surprise :)
I've just been having a good look through yours and love your garden, chooks, spider and your sense of humour too.
Oh, and good luck with the banana plant, Ali sounds very encouraging about it. Also, it looks to be in a nice spot.
Cheers, Susan
Hi Susan! Thanks for your visit and comments too! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Kat, I think someone gave me a dahlia tree stem to propagate but I was not sure what it was that I received. But after reading other comments...hmmm...maybe this is the plant that is growing in my place. I will post this plant in the future and hope you can help me to identify it.
ReplyDeleteTree dahlia is easy to propogate from pieces of stem, ours is a pink flower, if you post a pic of yours I'd be happy to see if I recognise it. :)
ReplyDelete