Thursday, February 10, 2011

Expanding with the claw

While my family's not looking I like to get my tools out and dig up patches of lawn, my veggie garden is spreading like a backyard disease. I get a little help from my friend the claw, the best tool ever for breaking up clay and removing lawn runners.

Claw's coming to get ya.

Lovely freshly dug soil. And a pitiful bent fork in the background. I tried to get the chickens in to help but they were only interested in kicking dirt in my face and devouring the neighbouring veggies through the fence.. fail team work.

Frame built, compost added and planted up with late hopeful zucchini and pumpkin. I have two of these beds side by side now and plans for another two in front, once the claw (and my upper arms) have recovered from all the digging.

~

8 comments:

  1. Kat why when your family are not around?!

    I have a claw too, but mine is little, in fact it's a kid's version... a few of my tools are, how embarrassment! But I grew to the size of a 14 year old and stayed that way!

    I like the way the garden is taking over, can I ask how you put your wooden beds together? I seem to be slightly incapable of drilling two pieces of timber together myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reminds me of a villian from, Get Smart....Da Craw, not Da Craw, Da Craw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh Hazel that Craw guy used to scare me!

    Ali all the best packages are fun-sized!
    The lawn is not technically mine, plus it's more fun to think you are doing things illicitly. I will admit my dad helped me finish off putting the boards together, after I did most of the hard work mind you (hah). I gave up on screws after the first two joins and just hammered in some big nails, I fully expect the frames to fall apart after a few months but they're just pine not hard wood so won't last that long anyway. Pre-drilling holes makes it a lot easier too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also sow some zucchini and pumpkin hoping I can get them to produce before it gets too cold;-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the photos I think the timber I am buying for garden beds is a fair bit thicker than the timber in your photo, and seeing as I can barely hammer in a thumbtack straight a big long nail is perhaps out of the question... on top of that I can't drill straight!

    I like it, illicit gardening. I hadn't thought of it being more fun that way, but I might start going outside after dark dressed in black and planting a few seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My motto is it doesn't have to look good as long as it works. :p Maybe you could try attaching them with L shaped brackets at the corners, I'm going to give that a go next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the raised beds. They look just like mine. I find that a right-angle angle-bracket keeps the joints firm very well. They cost only a few pence each from a DIY shop, and are worth the extra expense. I always use screws because nails fall out after a year or two. Of course it helps if you have an electric screwdriver...
    You can see these brackets in use in my blogpost from 23 Nov 2010 called "Is Nature inefficient?".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woe, bad news for my nailed-together frame then! :p

    ReplyDelete