I planted some mighty red, black russian and beefsteak seedlings last year and have just harved my first proper crop in the past few weeks from the mighty reds. They're beautiful looking fruit but not quite up to standard in the taste department, so I'm not sure if I'll plant this variety again seeing as I prefer a rich sandwich type tomato. They were also the first plants to succumb to a white fly infestation, though after near complete defoliation in the 40+ heat wave they held and ripened the remaining fruit nicely. Sooo I guess they lived up to their hardy reputation, and if you like pretty looking tomatoes that taste better than similar looking supermarket fruit then they would fit the bill. :/ Then again... this is my first time growing tomatoes so perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about. hmm anyway.
Off 4 plants I've harvested over 75 fruit so far, with a dozen or so still ripening on the bush. I have no idea if this is a good crop or not, they look nice though.
The poor plants look rather bare once the dead and dying leaves were removed.
Despite their resemblence to green stick insects they're starting to reshoot. I was looking forward to pulling them all out but this new growth is tugging at my heartstrings and making me wonder if I should let them continue.
And this is what I made with my box of spoils, sugar free tomato sauce. Bbq meat never tasted so good. For my first home grown tomatoes and my first attempt at making sauce and preserving I'm pretty bloody proud happy, in case you can't tell. Hurrah!..
~
My goodness, those tomatoes look quite blooming fabulous! And 75 of them... I think I have managed to grow around 5 proper sized tomatoes, so yes, I'd say you are doing freakishly well in the tomato growing department. I like your growing trellis too, I might have to pinch that idea.
ReplyDeleteLast year I grew a "green zebra" tomato, I don't know if you've heard of them. It was by far, far far and far, the best tomato I've ever tasted. Honestly. Maybe you could give it a try next?
And I'd be proud of that tomato sauce too :)
Hi Kat I think your harvest was really fantastic from 4 plants. I plant several variety of tomatoes and I found the red cherry tomatoes are much more sweeter than the beefsteaks varieties. Our beefsteak variety are badly burned during the 40+ but are growing new shoots as well. But yellow pear and yellow cherry tomatoes were more hardy agianst the 40+. It looks like more tomato harvest is coming from your veggie patch.
ReplyDeleteThank you M-K girl! I have cherry tomatoes growing too, but I usually eat them straight off the bush, none ever make it inside to be counted! You're right they have a great taste. I'll cross my fingers for us that no more bad weather comes along so our recovering plants produce more.
ReplyDeleteHi Ali! You should hire yourself out as a personal cheer squad, thank you for all your encouragement. :) The trellis is older than I am.. made way back when by my grandfather for his garden. You can guess it's one of my favourite things now.