Saturday, January 22, 2011

Experimental sugar free beetroot

I tried out this recipe for pickling beetroot last week, I didn't blow up the kitchen and it tastes very nice..

Ingredients
One bucket of soft beetroot picked a month ago and forgotten in the bottom of the shed fridge
A big sploosh of white vinegar
Just enough malt vinegar to make your back teeth hurt
A few spoons of xylitol to sweeten the pot
Peppercorns
Cloves
A pinch of mixed spice (because it was sitting next to the empty jar of pickling spice I intended to use)

= nom!

~

4 comments:

  1. What is xylitol?

    I like a sploosh... that's my kind of cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a low GI sugar substitute, supposedly better for you than the artificial sweeteners.. and the closest in taste to real sugar I have found.

    Yes, measuring takes the excitement out of cooking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, that's funny, why not real sugar?! Nah, don't listen to me, I have a friend who always uses sweeteners and I like to tease her about it.

    What are you having the beetroot with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm diabetic, so if I eat sugar my head turns into a pumpkin and falls off. ;)

    Home made hamburgers with home made beetroot! nom

    ReplyDelete