The thing I love most about my garden is when life gets hectic or there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything that needs doing I can neglect the heck out of my plants but most of them seem to struggle through somehow, they hang around and do their own thing until I can get myself together again and pick up where we left off. I've been in a brain fog for the past month or so, then my dad was ill and in hospital, life is still unorganised and messy but I took some time out today in the garden and am starting to feel more normal. Last winter I had a grand sum of 2 brocolli plants, this year I may have overcompensated. Current seedling count is half a dozen each of purple and green sprouting, and 10 of romanesco. I'm also trying brussel sprouts for the first time, I'm guessing some of the 2 dozen seedlings I have now have got to produce something. *must dig more garden beds*
Incidentally I found a solution to my inability to cull seedlings- first sow far too many seeds, leave the trays down the back of the yard and water from afar now and then, neglect until cabbage moths have eaten most of the leaves, then rescue and revive the surviving seedlings. Natural selection without intervention!
Purple Choy babies- my first experiment in toilet roll pots.
I had a birthday somewhere between my last post and now, and I got a huge boxful of these gorgeous wrigglers to revive the empty worm farm. Experiments in worm wee fertiliser to come.
The chickens are not impressed to see the scrap bucket detouring their cage in favour of the new arrivals.
~
I hope your dad feel much better Kat. I always sow many seeds because half of them will be eaten or accident happen so there will some left for healthy seedlings.
ReplyDeleteThank you. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad I'm not the only one who photographs worms in the compost bin - and then publishes them! Though I must say that getting worms as a birthday present is a tad unusual. (A belated Happy Birthday, by the way.)
ReplyDeleteI always sow too many seeds too, and then I find it hard to ditch the surplus ones when they are healthy and viable, just because they are spare.
Thank you Mark, I guess I'm not lucky enough as you to have worms come visiting, they were a tad expensive so were top of my birthday wish list. Perhaps unusual but no one will complain when I share my compost grown veggies I suppose. ;)
ReplyDeleteHello Kat, I think your way of natural selection of seedlings is a good one. Funny isn't it, I've read a lot of people hate culling - me included.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on getting your worms ... I love mine, have done for years. I love getting the worm wee too - it does a power of good to the plants. I placate our chooks by giving them an occasional worm or two as a treat!!!