Monday, March 7, 2011

Basella alba

One of my favourite plants at the moment is the climbing spinach, I started it off at the bottom of the chicken aviary a couple months ago and it's made it to the top already and started to flower. The leaves have a taste reminiscent of grass and a texture like slug innards. I'm not big on mucous but the chickens love to eat it so I'm growing it mainly for them, and also because the fleshy red stems contrast beautifully with the green foliage. I don't know if it will survive the winter but hopefully I can save some seed to try again later in the year. Did I mention how pretty it is?..




Speaking of chickens, the little malay chicks are growing like weeds. They're quite wild and remain unconvinced that cuddles are fun, as their mama taught them I suppose. Also highly suspicious of cameras.



~

5 comments:

  1. A very pretty plant. The chooks look very smart and growing fast.Rayyan enjoy looking at them, made him a bit vocal. He is less vocal nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The climbing spinach certainly is a very pretty plant - beautiful colour. LOL !! love your description of how it tastes. Not to my liking either. Great that the chooks like it. They're coming on really well by the look of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the climbing spinach has evolved its poor taste and repellent texture as a defence mechanism, so that it won't get eaten so much?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you make it sound so appetising! Is it ceylon spinach? I have some seeds that a friend gave me, I didn't realise it would be so pretty though, if indeed it's the same thing.

    Lovely little chickens, don't blame them for being a bit camera shy, they aren't exactly going through an attractive stage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm yes, it must be ceylon spinach! I've wondered if the green variety tastes as awful as mine, the winter weather is starting to kill it off anyway but it would probably fare at lot better up your way Ali.

    ReplyDelete