Saturday, June 4, 2011

Roast for one

So this is my sweet potato harvest this year...



I can hear the sniggers from here, though to be fair I did only get around to planting the vines in january, so not too bad a result for this little temperate patch. I was surprised how deep the tubers grow and how well they forced their way down through the hard clay soil. Definitely a crop to try again, starting earlier in the season this time.

~

6 comments:

  1. Good harvest of sweet potatoes grown in clay soil. The ones that we grown in clay soil did not even get big long tubers like your. Did you keep some shoots for next planting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, they look a whole lot like my effort! I have read somewhere that they can take around 300 days to grow, so I am just going to leave mine where they are and take a look after winter to see if anything has happened... I ideally I'd love to have a patch that I could just go to at any time of the year and dig up what I need... I guess I'll see how they go over winter.

    What did you do with yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I sniggered NOT! That's a darn good effort, especially in clay soil. They must love those conditions.
    Yum, sweet taters are just so nice to eat too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MK- I've put a few of the shoots in a pot, hopefully I can move them around in the sun and keep them protected till the warmer weather comes.

    Ali- 300 days! That's a lot of patience. I'm sure yours will do well with your warmer weather, I had mine crawling over a patch in the garden but the cold nights were starting to kill off the vines I so dug them up.

    Thanks Susan! I must admit the baby ones taste extra sweet when roasted up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sniggering either, I have pretty much NOTHING growing at the moment so these look exceptionally good to me! I must try to grow some this year, I have never tried to grow them before...
    Do you have more planted?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi GJ! You should have a go with them, I'm sure they'd do well. You can plant shoots or just leave a tuber out in the light to sprout. It's too cold here at the moment so I'll wait till spring before I plant some more out.

    ReplyDelete